What is UROP?
NASA’s Illinois Space Grant Consortium (ISGC) is happy to announce that its 13th Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) will take place this summer. UROP is a program designed to cultivate and support research partnerships between University of Illinois College of Engineering undergraduates and faculty members. All projects focus on NASA-related science and engineering research. We would like to invite highly-motivated sophomores, juniors and seniors as well May 2015 graduates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply to participate in UROP.
We envision this program to involve about 15 undergraduate engineering students who will:
- Contribute actively to an intensive research project during 10 weeks over the 2015 summer;
- Participate in a weekly seminar series (presentations on research ethics, technical writing, preparing presentations, field trip to an aerospace company and …) organized by the ISGC throughout this summer;
- Present the outcome of their research activities at a one-day symposium to take place at the end of summer.
We believe that such a program will provide a unique opportunity for you to become involved in NASA-related research activities.
The selected students will participate in research activities for 10 weeks between May 18 and August 7, 2015, under the supervision of a faculty member. The start and end dates are generally set by your faculty advisor, but we expect you to commit to 10 weeks of intensive research. You will receive a $3,500 stipend, plus a $500 Boeing Scholarship in Fall 2015.
How do I find research projects supported under this UROP?
Research project descriptions submitted by faculty are listed in the column to the right. Please note the Student Background section for knowledge and skills required or preferred.
Who Should Apply?
Highly-motivated students at the indicated levels with a GPA of 3.0 or higher are invited to apply to participate in UROP. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply.
- Sophomores (who will be taking Jr. level engineering courses in the Fall)
- May 2015 Graduates
When do I apply?
A fairly tight schedule will be followed.
|February 13, 2015|
- January 21, 2015: Announcement to undergraduate students and call for student applications.
- February 13, 2015: Applications due.
How do I apply?
- Complete and submit the application form. For your initial entry into the application, click on "Create new account" to start the application. Enter information into the COMMENTS SECTION of the UROP application form that will aid in the selection process; information such as relevant work experience, leadership activities, computer languages, etc. References given in the application will be contacted by UROP staff IF a recommendation letter is needed.
- All application materials are submitted through the on-line site; this includes your resume and transcript/academic history. You do not have to submit an official transcript, but the document does need to include your GPA.
Completed application forms WITH transcripts are due by February 13, 2015.
In some cases, an interview may be arranged between student and faculty before final selection is announced.
If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact us:
Associate Director of ISGC