Application opens: December 1, 2021
Application closes: February 20, 2022
The Illinois Space Grant Consortium (ISGC) will award scholarships for outstanding students pursuing an undergraduate degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) disciplines that support NASA’s mission.
A total of up to (30) $3,000* scholarships for the 2022-2023 academic year. Funding will be released incumbent upon authorization of funds by NASA.
- U.S. citizen
- Must be enrolled full-time at an ISGC affiliate institute:
- Bradley University
- Chicago State University
- City Colleges of Chicago
- DePaul University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Northern Illinois University
- Northwestern University
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- The University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Full-time student majoring in a STEM area, including, but not limited to engineering, computer science, the biological and life sciences, chemistry, geological sciences, physics, and astronomy. Please note that we are specifically interested in students whose academic major and career aspirations are relevant to NASA.
- Must be an undergraduate in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0)*
- Good academic standing
- Students may only receive this funding twice during their degree
- Completed online application (see below)
- All application materials must be submitted electronically by February 20, 2022, 11:59 pm.
*The GPA requirement may be waived with a letter of support from your university/college Affiliate Director.
Award winners will be chosen based on student qualifications and applications. Women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and U.S. military veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
Complete the Scholarship Application. As part of the application, you will be asked to upload the following:
- A one to two-page Statement of Interest which should include:
- Your reasons for seeking this scholarship/fellowship.
- Evidence of your previous and current interest/experience in engineering or science as related to NASA interests.
- A current resumé.
- Copy of your high school transcript (incoming Freshmen only)
- Copy of most recent college transcript (can be an unofficial transcript)
- Provide one academic reference which should include full contact information of the reference (name, address, position, institution, email, phone, etc.). A letter from the reference is not needed at this time.
Scholarships will be awarded to students who have the highest academic merit, have submitted a transcript, and a complete application.
Awardees agree to participate in the NASA longitudinal tracking process. This involves requesting information from recipients to determine any and all impacts Space Grant-funded opportunities have on a student’s future education/career plans. All awardees must agree to provide timely information for this report. The data is used to demonstrate the success of the Space Grant program to NASA so that funding will continue to be appropriated for future students. The tracking occurs through the first year of your next step. For example: if you are a junior who receives a scholarship, we will ask for your information yearly until you enter graduate school or take a position in your career field.
Provided candidates meet minimum eligibility requirements, at least one applicant from each affiliate institution will be awarded a scholarship.
Acceptance of this award may impact a student’s income level to a degree that could affect eligibility for other funding – including student loans. It is the students’ responsibility to consult with their undergraduate student office and their campus financial aid advisors. ISGC encourages students to meet with their financial aid officers prior to application submission.
Deadline and Notification of Awards
|February 20, 2022, 11:59 PM|
After screening for eligibility, successful applicants will be notified by the ISGC and affiliate institution. Notifications will also be sent to the affiliate institution.