WHAT IS UROP?
NASA’s Illinois Space Grant Consortium (ISGC) is happy to announce that its 17th Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) will take place this summer. UROP is a program designed to cultivate and support research partnerships between University of Illinois Grainger Engineering undergraduates and faculty members. All projects focus on NASA-related science and engineering research. We would like to invite highly-motivated Grainger Engineering with a GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply to participate in UROP.
We envision this program to involve about 20 University of Illinois undergraduate engineering (including ChemEngr and Ag/Bio Engr) students who will:
- Contribute actively to an intensive research project during 10 weeks over the 2020 summer;
- Participate in a weekly seminar series (presentations on research ethics, technical writing, preparing presentations) organized by the ISGC throughout this summer;
- Write an extended abstract and present the outcome of their research activities at a one-day symposium to take place at the end of summer.
We believe that such a program will provide a unique opportunity for you to become involved in NASA-related research activities.
The selected students will participate in research activities for 10 weeks between May 18 and August 7, 2020, under the supervision of a faculty member. The start and end dates are generally set by your faculty advisor, but we expect you to commit to 10 weeks of intensive research. The program is supported by the NASA Space Grant and faculty contributions. Students will each receive a maximum total of $5,000 in support. Students are expected to be in the lab approximately 40 hrs./week.
HOW DO I FIND RESEARCH PROJECTS SUPPORTED UNDER THIS UROP?
The research project descriptions submitted by faculty are listed in the column to the right. Please note the Student Background section for knowledge and skills required or preferred.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Highly-motivated students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher are invited to apply to participate in UROP.
WHEN DO I APPLY?
- March 6, 2020: Announcement to undergraduate students and call for student applications.
- March 23, 2019: Applications due.
- March 26, 2020: Application selections sent out to faculty
- April 6, 2020: Offers emailed to students.
Students will be expected to accept or decline their offers with one week of receiving the offers.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Complete and submit the application form. For your initial entry into the application, click on”Create new account” to start the application. Enter information into the COMMENTS SECTION of the UROP application form that will aid in the selection process; information such as relevant work experience, leadership activities, computer languages, etc. References given in the application will be contacted by UROP staff IF a recommendation letter is needed.
- All application materials are submitted through the on-line site; this includes your resume and transcript/academic history. Transcripts/Academic Histories should be PDF document. You do not have to submit an official transcript, but the document does need to include your GPA.
Completed application forms WITH transcripts are due by March 23, 2020.
In some cases, an interview may be arranged between student and faculty before final selection is announced.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact:
Associate Director of ISGC